[Don’t forget to visit our new home page!]
During the 2011 NFL season, Denver Bronco Quarterback Tim Tebow took the nation by storm by several exciting come from behind victories and by being very open about his Christian faith. As a student at the University of Florida, Tebow became one of the best college quarterbacks of all-time winning the Heisman trophy and multiple championships.
Ever since Tebow broke into the college football scene he has always been a guy known for wearing his faith on his sleeve, or better yet on his eye-blacks.
During the 2009 Championship game, Tebow wore John 3:16 on his eye black and it became one of the highest searched terms on Google, allowing thousands to hear the Gospel message, “For God so loved the world,that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” Three years later when throwing for 316 yards in a playoff game the most searched Bible verse came up again, leading many to Christ.
God’s Word is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart, shows us our sin and need for the Savior, and revive the hearts of its readers. Tim Tebow knows this and that is why he chose to share his faith by putting a Bible verse reference on his eye black during his college games.
Here is a list of the Scripture verses Tebow used on his eye black (references are from the ESV):
1. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
2. Ephesians 2:8-10, “God’s grace has saved you because of your faith in Christ. Your salvation doesn’t come from anything you do. It is God’s gift. It is not based on anything you have done. No one can brag about earning it. God made us. He created us to belong to Christ Jesus. Now we can do good things. Long ago God prepared them for us to do.”
3. John 16:33, “I have told you these things, so that you can have peace because of me. In this world you will have trouble. But cheer up! I have won the battle over the world.”
4. Isaiah 40:31
“But those who trust in the Lord will receive new strength.
They will fly as high as eagles.
They will run and not get tired.
They will walk and not grow weak.”
5. Psalm 23:1, “The Lord is my shepherd. He gives me everything I need.”
6. Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not depend on your own understanding. In all your ways remember him. Then he will make your paths smooth and straight.”
7. Philippians 4:13, “I can do everything by the power of Christ. He gives me strength.”
8. Mark 8:36
“For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?”
9. Romans 1:16
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.”
10. Hebrews 12:1-2
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.”
11. Philippians 4:6-7
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”