I was reading a book recently that discussed our modern notion of time. The writer said that we have started to view time as a resource that we have possession of. We treat the minutes of our day much like we treat the dollars in our pocket, considering how we...
We are very grateful for the preaching ministry of Pastor Colin. His faithfulness to God’s Word and gift of clear, practical teaching has blessed many a listener, and we pray that this list of 10 sermons will bless you as you head into a new year!
1. The Joys of Life in the Resurrection Body (from Heaven, 1 Corinthians 15)
We have seen that there is a good, better, best pattern to the Christian life. To be in Christ is good. To be with Christ is better, better by far. But even for those who are with Christ now, the best is yet to be.
2. Limitations (from Ministry Matters, Matthew 13)
In the first parable, our Lord spoke about four different kinds of soil. Now it is as if the camera zooms in on the good soil. The other three – the path, the rocky ground, and the thorns drop out of sight. So now we are looking at the good soil.
3. Every Knee Shall Bow (Stand-Alone Sermon, Philippians 2)
Here is the Easter message that I want to bring from these two passages: God’s unbreakable promise is that every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus.
4. Love God with All Your Heart (from Take Two: The Power of a Fresh Start, Deuteronomy 6)
If you have the idea that the Old Testament is all about external rites and rules, then take this in: Love God with all your heart (6:5). We are talking about a personal, spiritual relationship with Almighty God, formed by faith and characterized by love — and it is right here in the Old Testament.
5. What Worshippers Need to Know About Ourselves and About Jesus (Stand-Alone Sermon, Isaiah 53)
It is true. Jesus is a prophet. But that doesn’t go far enough. Jesus is more than a prophet. He is the One about whom the prophets spoke, the One to whom all of them pointed. Jesus is Prophet, Priest, King, Savior, and Lord.
6. The Day God Turned His Face Away (from 7 Words from the Cross, Matthew 27)
At noon, after Christ had endured three hours of agony and insult from the hands and mouths of men, something new happened, and Christ entered into the heart of his passion.
7. Breakfast with the Devil, Supper with the Savior (from 7 Words from the Cross, Luke 23)
It’s an extraordinary story — a man who’s destined for hell and right on the brink of eternal destruction is given full access to the joys and privileges of eternal life with Jesus Christ.
8. Heartbreak and Hope for the World’s First Mother (Stand-Alone Sermon, Genesis 4)
Eve’s life became totally different from anything she had expected. I wonder how many mothers would identify with this today?
9. Simeon: He Is the Christ (from Bearing Witness to Jesus, Luke 2)
We know very little about Simeon. It doesn’t matter if he was a priest or a plumber; a mechanic or a missionary. It doesn’t matter if he was young or old when he died, or what opportunities he had during his short time in this world. What matters is that he was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel and the Holy Spirit was upon him.
10. Everything You Need for Growth (from Everything You Need for Life, 2 Peter 1)
In the light of the gospel — because you participate in the divine nature and Christ has released you from Satan’s chains — you are in a position to act. Use the power that you have been given. Fire up these great engines and fly!