After many years of diverse career experience, I was excitedly counting down the days until my retirement. I eagerly anticipated being in control of my schedule and time while enjoying a slower pace of life. I envisioned more days devoted to serving in ministry at my church and deepening relationships...
Right now you have opportunities to honor Christ and bring joy and pleasure to your Lord and Savior that are only possible during your life in this world. I’ll give you ten:
10 opportunities to bring joy to Christ that are only possible during your lifetime.
1. All the praying you will ever do is the praying you do while you are in the body. You will not need to pray when you are with Jesus. Your communication will be direct.
2. All the believing you will ever do is the believing you do while you are in the body. You won’t need believing when faith has been turned to sight.
3. All the courage you will ever show is the courage you show in this world. Because there are no dangers in the presence of Jesus.
4. All the resisting of sin you will ever do is the battling with temptation that you do in this life. There are no sins or temptations for you to fight in the presence of Jesus.
5. The only opportunities you have to trust God in what you do not understand are here in this world. In the presence of Jesus, all that was hidden will be revealed and faith will be turned into sight.
6. The only dark places where you can shine like a light are the dark places where God puts you in this world. There are no dark places in the presence of Jesus.
7. The only patience you will ever show is the patience you have while in the body. There will be no need for patience in the presence of Jesus.
8. The only bearing witness to Jesus that you will ever do is in this world. There are no lost people in heaven, and those who believe know him and enjoy him forever.
9. The only comfort you will ever give to suffering people, and the only compassion for the poor is the comfort and compassion you give to those who suffer in this world – while you are in the body. There is no suffering and no poor in the presence of Jesus.
10. The only sacrifices you will ever make, the only giving you will ever do, the only labor for Christ and his kingdom is what you do in this life. In the presence of Jesus there are no sacrifices. The saints rest from their labors. The only opportunity you will ever have to move beyond your comfort zone for the sake of Christ is now!
There are opportunities to honor Christ now that you will never have again, so seize them! Use them! We make it our aim to please him! We will do that in heaven, but there are multiple ways of doing this that are only possible while we are here on earth.
[This sermon clip was taken from Pastor Colin’s message, “Bringing Joy to Christ,” from his series Don’t Lose Heart.]