6. Aim at humility, not humiliation. Being found in human form, he humbled himself. (Philippians 2:8) Think about the humility of Christ. When God was giving the law, His voice thundered impersonally from Mount Sinai. They heard His voice, but they did not see Him. But when God is making...
Let us follow the example of the Psalms in giving thanks to God!
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever!
Let the redeemed of the LORD say so,
whom he has redeemed from trouble
and gathered in from the lands,
from the east and from the west,
from the north and from the south. (Psalm 107:1-3)
Thanksgiving is a time to glorify our Creator. Here are 70 prompts that can help you as you are giving thanks to God this year.
God, you have:
1. given me a way to rejoice at all times (Phil. 4:4; 2 Cor. 6:10).
2. comforted me in all of my sorrows (1 Cor. 1:4).
3. not treated me as I deserve (Ps. 103:10).
4. given me all of the good gifts that I enjoy (1 Tim. 6:17; Jas. 1:17).
5. been the perfect peace of my soul, though I still sorrowfully sin (Rom. 5:1).
6. not counted my sins against me (2 Cor. 5:19).
7. suffered and died for my sins (1 Pet. 3:18).
8. cleansed me by your blood (Matt. 26:28; Heb. 9:22; Heb. 13:12).
9. satisfied the wrath of God on my account (Rom. 5:9).
10. not destined me for wrath, but for salvation (1 Thess. 5:9-10).
11. set me a place at your table (Rev. 19:6-9).
12. welcomed me into your family (Eph. 1:5).
13. awakened me to spiritual reality with your holy anger (Rom. 2:5).
14. led me to uprightness through teachings of judgment (Rom. 14:12; 2 Cor. 5:10).
15. taught me right and wrong (Heb. 4:12).
16. given clear warnings to protect me (Mk. 8:38, Jude 3).
17. not let my foot slip (Ps. 121:3,7).
18. defined me as a saint, not a sinner (Rom. 1:7; Jude 1:3; Rev. 14:12).
19. given me a family of believers that is eternal (Matt. 12:50).
20. transferred my citizenship to your kingdom (Col. 1:13; Phil. 3:20; 1 Pet. 2:9).
21. made me part of your bride (Eph. 5:25-27).
22. remained faithful when I have not displayed faith (2 Tim. 2:13).
23. caused me to awe at your holiness (Isa. 6:5; Rev. 1:17).
24. already brought holiness into my life (Gal. 5:16-17).
25. given me love for your perfection and a longing to be like you (Deut. 32:4; Ps. 19:7; Matt. 5:48; 1 Cor. 13:10).
26. planned good obedience for me, even now (Eph. 2:10).
27. granted me true spiritual light (2 Cor. 4:6).
28. shown me valid wisdom (1 Cor. 2:13-14).
29. worked wise perspectives into my life (Ps. 19:7).
30. enabled me to know your first priority to inform my life decisions (1 Cor. 15:3-4).
31. greatly loved me through your discipline (Prov. 3:11-12; Heb. 12:6).
32. brought me back to your Word, many times (Ps. 119:176).
33. directed me with authority (Prov. 4:11; Matt. 28:18).
34. been to me the authority worth unreservedly following (Gen. 18:25b; Rev. 22:13).
35. gifted me fear through which I am straightened and can be satisfied (Ps. 112:1, 20; Ps. 147:11; Ps. 34:9; Prov. 22:4).
God, you have:
36. made me lower than I was (Rom. 12:3; 2 Cor. 12:9-10).
37. brought me through fire purer than I was (1 Pet. 1:7).
38. held me near (Ps. 18:16).
39. shown me what love is (1 Jn. 4:10).
40. delighted in me (Ps. 147:11; Ps. 149:4).
41. had compassion for my neediness in sin (Matt. 9:36).
42. waited for me with patience (2 Pet. 3:9).
43. called me to know you (1 Cor. 1:9; Rom. 8:30).
44. set me on a foundation that will never buckle (Eph. 2:20).
45. shifted me into better alignment with my foundation (Eph. 2:21).
46. enabled me, by your Word, to be solid when circumstances were not (Ps. 119:89).
47. led me to goodness (Ps. 23:1, 6).
48. been my only good (Mk. 10:18; Ps. 34:10).
49. poured your joy into my soul, enacting strength (Neh. 8:10).
50. provided the desire to worship you alone (Ps. 86:10).
51. made me bow that justice belongs to you in your timing (Jn. 5:22; Rom. 12:19).
52. caused me to rejoice in the truth (1 Cor. 13:6).
53. always told me the truth about myself (2 Tim. 3:16).
54. allowed me to mourn in myself more of what you hate (Rom. 2:4).
55. heard my prayers and inclined your ear to my spiritual need (Ps. 116:1).
56. taught me to love in truth (1 Jn. 3:18; Jn. 17:17).
57. in turn made your truth the cherished foundation of my dearest relationships (Eph. 4:13, 15; Prov. 13:20).
58. provided me with people I can imitate (1 Thess. 1:6).
59. challenged me to not coast in the elementary teachings of the gospel (Heb. 6:1-3).
60. taught me more of your beauty through your law (Ps. 119:14-20).
61. preserved the Word I am privileged to have copies of and read (Matt. 5:18).
62. preserved the Church I am privileged to be a member of (Matt. 16:18).
63. given me examples in the history of your people, prodding me forward (Heb. 12:1).
64. caused this pale earth to not feel like my home (Heb. 13:14).
65. foreshadowed my resurrection by your own (1 Cor. 15:22-23).
66. added me to your inheritance (Eph. 1:11; Col. 3:23-24).
67. said that my death will only bring me to life (Rom. 8:38-39; Phil. 1:21).
68. set certain hope before my eyes (Tit. 1:2).
69. shown me that your work is real—it must be for any goodness to be in me (Phil. 1:6).
70. given me a dear urgency to please you more, considering all you have given (Phil. 2:12).
Join me in giving thanks to God! You have redeemed us, and I say so!